Unified Patents Seeking Experienced Patent Lawyers
Unified Patents is actively expanding its legal team and is in search of skilled, registered patent lawyers. Ideal candidates should possess a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience in the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) and post-award proceedings (IPR, PGR, and CBM), as well as expertise in drafting and prosecuting patents.
Qualifications and Requirements
Candidates are expected to have a degree in Electrical Engineering (EE) or Computer Science (CS). Additionally, experience in video codecs, coding, cryptography, compression, signals, wireless communications, or other algorithmic fields is highly valued. Prior patent assessment and clerking experience is advantageous. Familiarity with ongoing cases post-SAS Establishments is also preferred. Candidates should demonstrate the ability to collaborate within a team, work independently, and exhibit proficiency in writing and editing. Journal and filing experience will be considered a plus, with a strong preference for candidates based in the Washington, DC area.
- Managing patent office procedures internally
- Drafting, filing, and prosecuting patent office procedures (e.g., inter partes reviews)
- Conducting communications with authorities
- Preparation for and conducting of depositions
- Presentation at oral hearings
- Drafting motions and briefs
- Assisting senior attorneys in managing ongoing matters
- Supporting docketing, e-filing, deposit account, scheduling, and other IP functions
- Editing the work output of colleagues and external counsel
- Amicus curiae drafting and support; comment drafting and support
- Contract, licensing, and other legal support services
- Legal writing, support, and various legal duties
- 3+ years of PTAB experience (drafting petitions, filing, disputing, deposition)
- Admission to State and Patent Bar
- Ability to work independently and within a team
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English
Interested applicants are invited to apply online and submit their resume and cover letter addressed to Jonathan Stroud.
About Unified Patents
Unified Patents, an international organization comprising over 230 members, is dedicated to elevating patent quality and deterring baseless or invalid patent claims within specific technology sectors. Its primary focus lies in Zones marked by substantial assertions from Standards Essential Patents (SEP) holders and Non-Practicing Entities (NPEs). This entity actively engages in a spectrum of activities, including meticulous research, comprehensive prior art analysis, validity challenges, patentability assessments, administrative patent review (PTAB), amicus briefs, economic surveys, and energy studies. Unified functions autonomously from its members to fulfill its objectives of deterrence. While smaller members can join at no cost, larger entities contribute modest annual fees. With a commitment to safeguarding patent integrity, Unified Patents plays a pivotal role in fortifying the landscape of Law Services within the realm of intellectual property rights.